Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Tony Bennett Puts Crowd to Sleep

Bad theme. The best performances kept me awake and the others puts me to sleep. But here's a run down of the final nine.

1. Blake Lewis – “Mack the Knife” – It was a good performance, but nothing to write home about. As the themes get more restrictive Blake’s weaknesses are being highlighted. Having said that the second half was better than the first.

2. Phil Stacey – “Night and Day” – Phil had a Frank Sinatra vibe going on tonight.
The song started off extremely boring. It started picking up in the middle but by that time I was almost asleep. The last note was great, but this may be the performance that sends Phil packing.

3. Melinda Doolittle – “I’ve Got Rhythm” – I needed a good big dose of Melinda by this time to wake me up. Spectacular.

4. Chris Richardson – “Mr. Saturday Day” – One of his best performances if not the best to date. He didn’t sound like a chipmunk and I think this is the first week he outdid Blake.

5. Jordin Sparks – “On a Clear Day” – Another clean, beautiful performance. Even though it was a slow song Jordin injected it with some great energy and fun.

6. Gina Glocksen – “Smile” – This was a very pretty song. It was pleasant, sweet and nice. But I think Gina needs to rock it out. That’s where she’s most comfortable and that’s what separates her from the pack.

7. Sanjaya – “Heaven” – I actually didn’t think it was that awful. He made me laugh a few times. The judges called him an entertainer and they’re right. He entertains but he doesn’t move me.

8. Haley Scarnato – “Ain’t Misbehavin” – I think it was Haley’s best performance yet. She doesn’t have the big voice and her range is limited so she has to use all of her other “assets” to win votes. She’s sexy, sassy and injects her performances with attitude.

9. Lakisha – “Stormy Weather” – Predictable. She’s great but I’m tired of her. She comes out every week and does the same damn thing. I’m not surprised or impressed anymore.


So who’s going home:

I believe Phil’s lackluster performance coupled with his second place start will send him home. As for the other two spots it could be anybody. Haley and Sanjaya are the obvious choices but it could easily be Gina or Jordin. If I had my choice I’d send Phil home. He’s boring and does nothing for me. Sanjaya makes me laugh. And Haley makes me want her to grow and do better since she’s the underdog. She has just enough talent for her performances to be respectable but her limited ability keeps her at the bottom of the pack.

No comments: