Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Top 11 Sing Songs From the British Invasion

Haley Scarnato – “Tell Him” – This was a perfect song choice for her. She was confident, comfortable, and had lots of fun. And she remembered her words. It was definitely her best performance yet. Her first place position though may land her in the bottom 3.

Chris Richardson – “Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying” – The judges loved it, but I felt it was a bit boring. However, the sole guitar next to him on stage made the performance memorable. Unfortunately for Chris is still singing in Blake’s shadow.

Stephanie Edwards – “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” – She has a great voice. When she bobs her head up and down I keep having flashbacks of Fantasia and it’s very distracting. There’s just too many other singers in the competition that sing like her, but stand out more.

Blake Lewis – “Time of the Season” – He is definitely the best entertainer this year. Unlike Taylor Hicks who was a corny performer, Blake is sexy and cool. It was an awesome performance and he’s hands down my favorite guy this year.

Lakisha Jones – “Diamonds are Forever” – Her vocals were spot on, but compared to her earlier performances it was nothing spectacular. She definitely peaked too early. She has nowhere to go. She won’t win the competition.

Phil Stacey – “Tabacco Road” – I felt like I was watching a watered down version of Chris Daughtry perform as Phil took the stage. He’s at risk. He doesn’t stand out enough. Last night showed he’s not a rocker and we still don’t exactly what he is.

Jordin Sparks – “I Who Have Nothing” – All I can say is WOW. This was the best performance of the night. It gave me chills. Her heart was in this performance 100 percent. She is the dark horse this season.

Sanjaya Malakar – “You Really Got Me” – He definitely came out on stage with a revived sense of confidence. But man was this really bad. It was just awful. Terrible. Horrific. And just plain odd. His moves coupled with his Michael Jackson-like white gloves. Very weird. But on a positive note the crying girl in the audience made me laugh throughout the performance, otherwise I would have been cringing.

Gina Glocksen – “Paint it Black” – Perfect song choice for her and while her vocals weren’t spot on she still brought it home. Most rockers aren’t vocalists anyway, they’re performers. I hope she sticks around.

Chirs Sligh – “She’s not There” – I’ve lost my earlier enthusiasm for Chris S. He longer interests me. The beginning was boring, the chorus was fun but it was the wrong song choice.

Melinda – “As Long As He Needs Me” – The first half was boring but she nailed the ending. Again another boring un-dramatic song. Like Lakisha dramatic songs suit her better.

The Bottom Three

If there is truly a God, Sanjaya will be sent packing. But I have a strange feeling he will slip through another week. So my second choice would be Phil, who adds nothing to the competition. Even Sanjaya adds more than Phil. While it would be easy to say Haley or Gina will round out the bottom three I have a feeling the third person in the bottom three may be a mini-shocker like Stephanie or Chris R.

No comments: